1. Prepare artichokes as directed for artichoke hearts and cut each in half.
2. In a large pan gently fry spring onion in oil until soft. Add juice of 1/2 lemon, water, about 2 tsp salt and a good grinding of pepper. Bring to the boil.
3. Drain prepared artichokes and add to pan with dill. Return to a slow simmer, cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes or until artichokes are tender.
4. Strain cooking liquid into a pan and boil until reduced to half original quantity (about 1 1/2 cups). Keep artichokes hot in a slow oven.
5. Mix cornflour to a paste with a little cold water and stir into simmering liquid. Stir until thickened and bubbling and leave to simmer gently.
6. Beat eggs in a mixing bowl until light and frothy and gradually add remaining lemon juice. Gradually pour in simmering stock, beating constantly. Return to pan and stir over low heat for a minute or 2 to cook the egg.
7. Pile artichokes on a warm platter, pour sauce on top and sprinkle with chopped dill. Serve as a light meal or as a first course.