1. Take an eighth of the pastry strands and spread out on a board to a 18 * 25 cm (7 * 10 inch) rectangle with strands running roughly lengthwise.
2. Using a pastry brush, dab some butter over strands.
3. Combine out filling ingredients and spread about 2 tbsp of filling along one narrow edge.
4. Roll up firmly into a near roll. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
5. Place rolls close together in a 20 * 30 cm (8 * 12 inch) slab cake pan or baking dish. Brush top with remaining butter.
6. Bake in a moderate oven, one shelf above centre, for 50-55 minutes until golden brown.
7. Meanwhile dissolve sugar in water over heat, add lemon juice and rind, cloves and cinnamon. Bring to the boil and boil over medium heat for 10 minutes. Stir in honey, strain and cool.
8. Pour cooled syrup over hot pastries and place a folded cloth on top. Leave until cool.
9. Cut each roll into 5 pieces diagonally if prefereed.
Alternative shaping: Take a small handful of pastry strands and spread out fairly compactly on board. Have strands running towards you as much as is possible and dab with butter. Mould a tbsp of nut filling into a short sausage shape and place on one end. Roll up firmly into a neat roll and place in baking dish. Repeat with remainng ingredients. Make about 30 rolls each about 5 cm (2 inches) long. Continue from Step 6.
Tip : Makes 40 pieces