1. Loosen konafa pastry by pulling gently with fingers. Place in a large bowl and pour on melted samneh. Toss pastry shreds so that they are evenly coated with samneh, using a fork or fingers.
2. Place half the strands in the base of a 25*30 cm (10*12 inch) oven dish, or in a 25 cm (10 inch) round baking dish (sanieh). Press down to make it more compact.
3. Combine cheese with sugar and lemon rind and beat until softened.
4. Spread cheese evenly over pastry in dish and top with remaining pastry.
5. Bake in a moderate oven for 45 minutes until golden brown.
6. When K''nafi is cooked, remove from oven and poour on cooled atar (syrup). Leave until cold and serve cut in squares or dimond shapes. Store any remaining K''nafi in a covered container refrigerator.