1. Heat the oil in a frying pan (skillet) and fry the lamb briskly for 3 minutes until browned. Remove the meat from the pan with a perforated spoon or fish slice and set aside.
2. Add the onions to the pan and cook, stirring, until soft. Add the garlic and spices and cook for 1 minutes.
3.Add the stock, carrots, turnips,, tomatoes, raisins, chick - peas (garbanzo beans) and lamb.Cover, bring to the boil and simmer for 12 minutes.
4. Add the courgettes (zucchini), dates or apricots and season with salt. Cover again and cook for 8 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, put the couscous in a bowl with 1 tsp of salt and pour over the boiling water. Leave to soak for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
6. To serve, pile the couscous on to a warmed serving platter and make a hollow in the centre. Put the meat and vegetables in the hollow and pour over some of the sauce. Serve the rest of the sauce separately.